Ash means cash for hotel industry (Sydney Hotels)



Travellers say hotels are cashing in on the hundreds of thousands of airline passengers stranded around the world as clouds of volcanic ash keep airspace closed over Europe and the UK.

Tourists stranded in Singapore, en route to the United Kingdom and Europe, say they are looking at paying at least $300 more than the normal rate for a one night hotel stay.

And that is if they can find a hotel with a vacancy.

Kate Edmondson was set to fly from Sydney to Dublin via Singapore on Thursday. She told ABC News Online she has made it as far as Singapore and will be kicked out of her hotel this afternoon.

Ms Edmondson says she is frantically trying to find somewhere else to stay.

"I've got a few leads with people and I've got my friends and family and the church in Australia trying to find me somewhere," she said.

"I think it will be resolved but it is scary to know in half-an-hour I'm going to go and sit down in the lobby for a while and think about what I'm going to do."

Ms Edmondson says competition for hotel rooms is fierce.

"I lost an opportunity this morning when someone offered me a room for $300 above the rate and it was a case of she who hesitates is lost," she said.

"I lost that room and once I rang back it was all gone. I really should have taken that room.

"I just wasn't sure about my travel insurance and I hesitated because I thought 'oh you're ripping me off' and instead of facing the reality of that's the position I'm in, I hesitated and I didn't take it."

Read FUll Story HERE

Looking for accommodation, see Metro Hotels

Comments