Wicked Stars Reunite For New Musical


FORMER Wicked co-stars Rob Mills and Lucy Durack are teaming up again in the upcoming new musical Legally Blonde.

The Australian production of the hit stage show, which won an Olivier Award last year, premieres at Sydney's Lyric Theatre on September 21.

After wearing pink as the good witch Glinda in Wicked, Durack once again dons the bright feminine colour to play Elle Woods, the role made famous in the 2001 film by Reese Witherspoon.
"I'm ready to get back into the pink," she said.

"What they (Glinda and Elle) have in common is that they're misunderstood, but in different ways.
"I think they do have a lot of differences but they both love pink and they're both blonde."
Mills, who recently hosted Channel 10's revival of Young Talent Time, plays heartbreaker Warner, although he originally auditioned for the role of Emmett.

"I was like yeah, he's a dorky guy, he's a smart guy, he ends up with girl. I'm thinking I like that role," he said of Emmett, played by fellow Wicked alumni David Harris.

"I learned all the material and then as soon as I walked in they said 'nah'. I said 'What? I haven't even sang for you or done the scene'. I sang, I did the scene and they said 'no, come back on Friday for Warner'.

"I was pretty shocked but at the same time pretty chuffed that they thought I was handsome enough to play the role of Warner.

"I was really rapped to throw myself into something different.

"I didn't think I was right for that role at all, but maybe a bit of acting courses have paid off."
Jerry Mitchell, who directed and choreographed the Broadway production of Legally Blonde, helms the Australian version, which is a co-production of John Frost and The Ambassador Theatre Group.

Legally Blonde The Musical plays Sydney's Lyric Theatre from September 21 through November 25.
Tickets available through Ticketek.

Comments